Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jogging with Baby!

Today I had my first experience with the jogging stroller. I was all fired up and ready to go! I pulled the dusty stroller out of the garage and gave it a good wipe-down, got myself hydrated and fueled for optimum performance, and was ready to head out and enjoy the sunny, near 70 degree weather. I strapped my little one into the seat after slathering him with SPF 50 sunscreen and dressing him in his own workout wear, including Calvin Klein velour hoody to protect his little head from the sun. I stashed my cell phone and keys in said stroller, strapped on my watch, tied up my running shoes, and headed out.

Then, reality hit. This was hard! I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. I typically jog 4-7 miles three times a week. Well, try running with a 35 lb. rucksack and a straightjacket on – that’s what jogging with a baby in tow feels like! Being the determined fitness buff that I am, I would not be deterred. I settled myself into a nice rhythm, albeit a lot slower than my normal pace sans baby, and found myself back in my driveway 40 minutes and a comfortable 3 miles later.

One thing that really did surprise me, other than how challenging this would be, was how much my baby would love it! If your baby likes riding in the car, being pushed in a regular stroller, or being worn in a carrier, he will probably love this, too. My little one sat and took in all the beautiful scenery, all of which was so new to him since this is the first sign of nice weather since he was born. There was a gentle breeze blowing, and that, combined with the rhythm of the stroller tires and the gentle rocking motion as I strolled along, relaxed my little guy and lulled him into a state of half sleep and coma! He stayed in this sleepy awake state for the duration of my jog. Upon returning to the house and giving him a quick feeding, he was down for the count – plus number three!

If you want to jog with your baby, here are a few safety tips to consider before you begin:

1. Protect your baby. This goes without saying. Dress baby appropriately based on the weather. Skin exposure to direct sunlight should be minimized. Make sure your baby is wearing a hat to protect his little head, and sunscreen made for babies and children on all exposed body parts.

2. Inspect your gear. Become very familiar with your stroller before using it. Use according to manufacturer’s suggestions. Make sure straps are tightened and secured properly. Try going for a trial and walking around the neighborhood first, to get the feel of your jogger and to get comfortable using it.

3. Plan your route. Know the distance and the neighborhood you wish to take beforehand. Try http://www.mapmyrun.com Choose a safe location and a well-lit time of day. Choose your route according to ease and convenience; for instance, are the sidewalks well kept and free and clear of obstructions? Is there a convenient jogging path close by? These will make your workout safer and more enjoyable.

4. Protect yourself. Take all the same precautions you normally would when going for a jog outdoors. These include appropriate clothing and gear for the weather, sun protection (including sunscreen, sunglasses and hat or cap), fuel and hydration.

Do not listen to an iPod while jogging! You need to have your full senses about you and be aware of everything.

Wear a watch to time your length away from home, and consider telling a close friend or family member when you’ll be gone and the route you plan to take, in case of an emergency. Bring your keys and cell phone, and even your ID card or Driver’s license, and secure them appropriately in your stroller.

5. Don’t over-exert yourself. Be smart. Exercising with your baby means you have to consider your own safety and health as it affects not only you, but your little one as well. Don’t try to be a superhero and do too much too soon. Build up your endurance slowly and consistently.

6. Don’t get discouraged. If baby becomes fussy, you get tired, or weather doesn’t cooperate, cut your workout short and try again later. The biggest obstacle to getting in shape is consistency. Be consistent, yet flexible, and you will eventually reach your goals!

4 comments:

  1. Great entry! I'm so glad you and Joel enjoyed it! I wish I had tried several joggers before getting mine. My jogger is too heavy and tall for my size. It also has a fixed front wheel that makes steering on curves and hills difficult. I love being out there and so do the twins, so it would be better all around if I had a more comfortable ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! Selecting a good jogger is important. I wish I had a good resource on that. I got my jogger for free; it is a bit older and cumbersome like yours, but it's better than nothing! I figured you'd get a good laugh out of my experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job on your first of many running adventures with baby Joel! i know my children enjoyed the ride and it usually ended up being a late afternoon 1 hour (or more) power nap for them. the sad thing is that they STILL enjoy the running stroller-(yeah,my daughter is 45lbs,now THAT is workout!!!)
    anyways,im glad you enjoyed it,and no worries,you will get used to extra resistance.....a stronger runner is a faster runner!!!
    keep it up fit mamma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - you might not have to even train arms if that's what you're doing! Thanks for the motivation, and for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.