Tuesday, March 2, 2010

That Downer Known as Debt

Finance is not my area of expertise. In fact, I struggle a bit being disciplined in this area. But I have improved from my frivolous ways of youth and instant gratification mindset. I’ve come to learn that lack of financial control will cause a life of stress, fighting and unrest. Bad for a marriage, family, and an individual.

My husband and I recently paid off a 3-year home equity loan. The day we wrote that final check, we felt such a rush of relief! It may sound corny, but it’s true. Now, we’ve set a goal of paying off all of our debt and living a life of peace and freedom! With controlled spending and a somewhat aggressive approach, we will shorten our final loan from 3 years down to 1 year. The amazing thing is, this will free up ¼ of our monthly take-home pay! Now maybe you can see how significant this is. Our second course of action involves saving and spending – that’s right, we plan on staying debt-free for the rest of our lives. This is the only way not to be tied to “the man” and to enjoy true financial freedom, worry-free. Oh yeah, the other great thing about this lifestyle – a suffering economy has no impact on your life. It’s an amazing thought. So, we are fired up about the changes.



I highly suggest reading Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover. This is where I got my initial inspiration, and upon realizing we were already halfway towards these behavioral changes Dave recommends, I realized the freedom he describes is very attainable and close within reach. If you think your situation is far worse than mine, it very well may be. His book is laced with success stories of singles, couples and families who worked their way out of tens of thousands of dollars in debt and found their freedom. A great read… an even greater life application. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.