Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Experience with an Epidural

I was pregnant for the first time, and the thought of giving birth terrified me. I had nine months to think about the process, and boy, did I. I watched television shows with real footage from labor and delivery rooms. I scoured the internet for both medical information and personal experiences of what other moms did. I read several books. I was all but convinced that I probably couldn’t handle the pain of childbirth and that I would need an epidural.

My goal was to make it through the childbirth process with as little intervention as possible. I did not want a cesarean section. I did not want to be induced, because I knew (from the many television shows I watched!) that my chances of having a c section were greatly increased following an induction. As for pain control, I considered narcotics until I realized they did little for pain relief but caused additional risk to the baby. I decided that I would attempt to make it through medication-free, but if it got too unbearable, I’d ask for an epidural.

I arrived at the hospital in active labor. After being admitted, a labor check revealed I was five centimeters dilated. I was doubled over in pain, in the fetal position and panting with each contraction. I immediately asked for the epidural. About a half hour later, the anesthesiologist came in to administer my pain medication. I sat upright on the bed, bending over to flex my spine and allow maximum space for the needle insertion. I was a little scared about that long needle coming so close to my spine, but the pain was so unbearable that it overshadowed my fear. About 15 minutes later, and the pain was gone. Thanks to the epidural, I was in a state of relief and pure comfort; I felt great! I was happy, but also sleepy – after all, it was nearly five o’clock in the morning. All went well and I safely delivered my baby boy to the cheers of my midwife and nurses. I was in a full state of awareness and contentment during childbirth. I felt no pain, but I did notice pressure during contractions. My legs and feet were numb, and that feeling took about 3 hours to totally wear off.

As I write this article nearly sixteen months later, I occasionally feel soreness in my spine near the site of my epidural. When I was first cleared to resume exercise, I couldn’t flex or extend my spine too much or I felt pain. This slowly wore off over a period of months, but there is still a small aching feeling there many times after I workout.

We are planning to try for baby number two later this year, and I am strongly considering skipping the epidural this time and going all-natural. While the feeling of pain relief offered by the drugs was great, it did cause me discomfort that I still feel to this day. Then again, ask me when I’m in active labor, and the first phrase out of my mouth may be “epidural, please!”

3 comments:

  1. Great article! I had Holiday at home, naturally, with a midwife. I've had soreness (almost feels like a bruise) in the middle of my lower back right where an epidural WOULD have gone had I decided to go that route. My chiropractor told me that it's a key transition point for your spin/bones and as everything slowly shifts back into place it's very common to be sore. I was in labor a total of 27 hours, 14 of which sounds like what you described-- totally doubles over in unbearable pain! BUT after all that hard work, back labor and pushing for over an hour, I think I will mostly likely go the natural route again for baby #2. To me, the benefits outweigh the pain. Plus, once you know you CAN do it, you feel like you can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Alissa! I have to say, I went through completely natural labor with my son - 16 hours of it and would never, ever do it again. Yes it was painful - many parts I have blocked out and do not remember... but mostly because at the end of labor, at the end of pushing, when my son took his first breaths, my first reaction not joy and happiness, it was overwhelming relief that the labor was over. I feel I cheated myself out of what could have been an incredibly joyful moment. I was indeed happy, but not for the reason I wanted to be. I have since gone through 2 childbirths with my sister in law - for both of which she had an epidural. It was such a different, wonderful experience. Looking back, I wish I had been less 'proud'. Anyhow, I wish you tons of luck as you plan for #2. I just could not resist chiming in!
    Julie Lohre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies both for sharing your experiences. It definitely gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.