Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Personalize Your Layette with Custom Baby Clothes

As an expectant mom, nothing is more fun than gathering a compilation of tiny baby booties, teensy onesies, and all else that goes with your little one’s layette. But instead of the same pre-packaged layette from the same old mega department store, why not personalize your little one’s first wardrobe? Custom baby clothes are easy to make and can set your stylish one ahead of the crowd. There are actually a few easy ways to customize clothing – sans sewing machine - that I’d like to share with you.

Fabric markers are a great tool for making custom baby clothes. Personalized onesies is a pretty easy project, as I found out. I bought a multiple pack of white infant onesies, long- and short-sleeved. Next, I heat set some freezer paper, shiny side facing fabric, to the inside of the onesie on the same front surface I’d be working on. I used water-soluble markers to sketch designs and doodle on the onesie. Next, I retraced my sketches with brush-tip fabric markers. After letting dry, I used a spray bottle to wet and rinse off the water-soluble marker, leaving only my final design, then heat set based on manufacturer’s instructions. Viola!

Fabric stamp pads make great custom baby clothes. Carving your own designs into rubber stamps is a great, fun way to be creative. Or, like I did, you can go with a purchased stamp. Since stamp pads often leave more to be desired with uneven coverage, I used a fabric marker brush to color the stamp pad. Using the same procedure as above, with the freezer paper ironed to the shirt, I stamped designs, words, names and phrases. I then used the marker to fill in light areas before heat setting.

Creating custom baby clothes is a fun project to do at a baby shower, or simply when the nesting phase is in full swing. Don’t just limit yourself to onesies; customize hats, booties, sleep sacks and mitts, too. It does work best on 100% cotton fabric, but always check with the product manufacturer on what they recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.